This healthy carrot cake is a fluffy and moist cake made with wholesome ingredients!
Don’t get discouraged by the ‘healthy’ in the name. This cake is just as fluffy and moist as any good carrot cake.
I love adding vegetables to desserts. I used to think it must taste horrible. But when I tried it for the very first time I knew there is no coming back. It tastes so good. I most cases you won’t taste the vegetables at all. What you will get it’s all the nutrition that they bring and a great twist to the taste.
If you like veggies in your desserts, or maybe you just like trying something new, here are some of my absolute favorites:
- FLOUR – I mix whole wheat flour with all-purpose flour, however, you can use either just all-purpose flour (it will be more fluffy), whole-wheat flour (less fluffy, but contains more fiber, it will keep you full for longer), or white whole-wheat flour, which is a whole-wheat flour bleached white, it has less fiber than the dark whole-wheat, but still, it will be a more nutritious option than all-purpose flour.
- CARROT – you can use any type of carrot; the last time I made it I mixed regular carrot with rainbow carrot and it came out great!
- MAPLE SYRUP – can be substituted with honey or other sweeteners of your choice.
- ALMOND MILK – you don’t have to use almond milk, feel free to substitute it with regular milk.
- SPICES: no carrot cake is complete without the addition of cinnamon and a little nutmeg.
how to store it?
Keep it covered at room temperature where it will stay good for a couple of days, or keep it covered in the fridge where it will stay good for up to a week!
You can either freeze the cake as a whole cake or in individual portions. Keep the cake in a freezer-friendly container and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Note, if you are adding the frosting, freezing might not be the best option.
You can skip the frosting if you wish to. However, this cream cheese frosting gives the cake even more flavor and moisture. I sprinkled mine with cinnamon, but that’s totally up to you.
Some carrot cakes are overwhelmingly sweet with a giant layer of frosting. On the other hand, some healthy versions are dry and disappointing. This Healthy Carrot Cake is right in between which makes it taste perfect! The frosting is light and creamy, and not too sweet. The cake itself is moist and fluffy. It’s tender inside with the perfect amount of sweetness from the cinnamon, maple syrup, and carrots.
This Healthy Carrot Cake screams Fall. Warm tea, oversized sweater, a cozy blanket, and a slice of carrot cake. Can you imagine a more perfect evening than that?Print